Friday, May 8, 2009

Next time you want to whine...

I have noticed an epidemic lately. Okay, maybe it's just me. I have been consistently whiny, and it is not helping me at all. My poor boyfriend. I will be having a conversation, and all of a sudden it will turn into a "poor me" situation. Yes, I am at an awkward stage where I am pretty much transient, and don't know where I will be living or working next year. Yes, I miss my friends and family. Yes I miss my dog.

Just when I was thinking that things weren't going my way, and it could not get any worse, I stumbled upon this article. I highly suggest reading it. Connie Culp was the victim of a failed suicide-murder attempt by her husband. She is also the world's first face transplant recipient. The attack left her without the ability to see, smell or smile. After a gunshot wound to the face, you would think she would be moping around, hiding from the world. Who would want to exist in a place where children thought you were a monster, and all of your normal functions were taken away from you? Who could deal with the enhanced pressure of living in a society you once fully partook in, and now you have to change the way you do everything because your husband shot you? This woman is amazing. She has forgiven her husband. Forgiven him for shooting her in the face! Her story is an inspirational reminder to forgive, to love and to live. Reading her story has also taught me to be thankful. Thankful for my family and friends, for the ability to smell and see and live the way I want to live. She has also served as a friendly reminder to stop whining, and start making things happen for myself. Thank you Connie!

No comments: