Monday, April 27, 2009

Rock of Ages


"I wanna ROCK!" After seeing the 80's spectacular that is Rock of Ages, this phrase was stuck in my head FOR DAYS! I took my boyfriend to see this show, and I have to say that not only is it funny and entertaining, but VERY straight man friendly. He definitely knew more songs than I did, and sang the whole time. I won't tell. (Whoops!) Every time a song would start he knew right away what song it was before they even sang a note. To his credit though, with a soundtrack that includes Journey, White snake, Pat Benetar and Jefferson Star ship you better know most of these songs!

When we first walked in they gave us a program...and a fake lighter that lit up when squeezed. For what you ask? Well I think if you go to a musical that has song's like Mr. Bigg's "Be with You", you don't really have to tell people what to do. It was amazing. As soon as a ballad started, the audience would slowly fill with little lighter lights swaying back and forth. It was great. And because they weren't real, you could rock out with lighters a'swaying as long as you wanted. How funny is it that you can give 300 people fake lighters, and no one asks why. they just know what to do with them, and when to use them. That is the 80's my friend.

This show was filled with hilarious actors and enough 80's references to satisfy the whole family. Who doesn't like Bartle's and James wine coolers I ask you? Constantine from American Idol was the lead character, and the guy who played Lonnie the narrator was hilarious. The whole time he wore an "I love boobies" shirt that was available for purchase after the show. One of the stand out characters was the son of the German construction developer. Throughout the whole show you are thinking that he is somewhat homosexual, until he exclaims, "I'm not gay, I'm just German." He was adorable.

Basically you have to see this show. It is not a disappointment as long as you don't expect a deep plot line or a depressing ending....

I WANNA ROCK!

No comments: