Friday, April 10, 2009

Peeps and such

Well... you all knew it was coming. I've been talking about Peeps for weeks! AND I told all of my loyal readers (Hi Annette!) that I was writing this one today.

Easter is about Jesus, but let's face it it also has the added bonus of having a candy variety that rivals that of another famous holiday that is NOT about Jesus, Halloween of course! I do enjoy a good candy corn now and again, but those mini sugar traffic cones can not hold a candle to some of the candy confections that the holiest day of the year brings to the table...

PEEPS!

OMG! I know them! I've eaten every color! And they all taste the same. These little sugar coated sugar babies are the life blood of Easter candy, and this is coming from someone that craves chocolate like you would not believe. What is so great about Peepers, that's my pet name for them, is that they are as adorable as they are delicious. I mean seriously. As they stare up at you with their sad little chocolate brown dot-eyes, you can't help but feel guilty as you eat their lil' heads off, and devour the rest of their family.

This year they have a new color, orange, and don't tell but I put them in Steve's Easter basket. I can't say they will be more delicious then blue, green, pink, purple or the famous yellow, but they do bring a certain something to the table.

and there's MORE variety! Try the bunnies. They taste so good! And the company got a little crazy, and added Peeps for all seasons. Easter, Christmas, Halloween and even Valentine's Day. Buyer beware: some of these "fancy" Peeps include "fancy" marshmallow flavors that just ruin the whole thing. A peep just isn't a peep when it tastes like strawberries.. eww. If you ask me though, you can't go wrong with a chick or a bunny though.

And these crazy people have started making recipes for Peeps. You can make smores or cakes and stuff. Go to www.marshmallowpeeps.com for more. It's a sickness I tell ya!

JELLY BEANS

Poor forsaken jelly bean. You used to be the crowd favorite, but now you just lie hopelessly at the bottom of Tommy's Easter basket amongst robin's eggs and plastic grass while he plays with those frickin' scary looking sugar chickens and rabbits! Damn you Peeps! Your stealing my sugar thunder!

But wait, could it be? A jelly bean comeback? Ah yes, the jelly bean is coming back revamped and ready to rumble. The makers of candy favorites like Starburst and Jolly Ranchers have been coaxing the jelly bean out of submission for years by turning their popular candy into a magical tasty bean! And Jelly Belly has always been a popular jelly bean maker. Thank you candy makers.. Because this year I truly saw a Dora the Explorer jelly bean on the Drug store shelf, and that's when I knew the bean was back!



REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER EGG

O death thy name is peanut butter egg. How else could you take one of the most fatty, delicious candies, and turn it into a bigger, more fatty and delicious candy...shaped like an egg?!? I love these things, and THIS is the reason I have to workout so much around this season...

CHOCOLATE BUNNY

Fat kids rejoice! If you thought peanut butter eggs were bad, take a gander at the chocolate bunny. Are you kidding me? It's like a candy bar on steroids... shaped like a bunny! What is it with Easter? You take a candy and reshape it, and it's supposed to be okay now? No. If my parents ever wondered why I did wind sprints in the backyard in my Easter dress, and then passed out on the porch on Easter Sunday, it was probably because I just ate a whole chocolate bunny. SUGAR HIGH!!!!! and then the crash.... Ha!

Thank you Easter for your magnificent attempt to make a Jesus filled holiday more sugarfied.....

No comments: