Monday, March 2, 2009

Girl scout cookies and karaoke...


I know you are probably thinking that Girl Scout cookies and karaoke could never relate.. WRONG! Here's how... When I was a young(er) lass I was a Girl Scout. Few things mean more to a Jr. Girl Scout than getting patches and selling cookies. Yes, my poor family. Mom, Dad, Grandma and Papa all did their duties as assistant Cookie salesmen, and hawked cookies at the office. But who really needs to "sell" cookies? They sell themselves. They are, dare I say, delicious! I guess you could say my fourth grade year was a lot like "Troop Beverly Hills" except we didn't stay in hotels, and we were in Columbus, Ohio NOT 90210. So my little friends and I came up with a truly ingenious way to sell cookies. We took our troop to Cub Foods in Dublin, and sat atop mountains of dog food in the lobby and sang our little hearts out about girl scout cookies and how frickin' delicious they were. Yes, we were 4 ft entrepreneurs. How could you pass up little girls with voices like angels, and boxes of cookie goodness? You can't. "Thin Mints are great, thin mints are fine..." I don't know what really rhymed with Samoas though... And that my friends is how we won the cookie competition for our troop.

O wait karaoke... So many years later, when I discovered the vodka soda, I am reminded of my days as a girl scout. See, for some reason I still think I'm that little girl sitting on piles of dog food in a supermarket lobby. I still that my voice sounds like an angel, but ummmm it's really too bad that it doesn't. It's more like a bad Cindy Lauper video that never stops.

Well it is that time of year. Girl Scouts don't come door to door in NYC, and no one in my office has little girl scouts at home to sell me delicious cookies. So alas, I will have to hope that a troop of young entrepreneurial Girl Scouts ends up in my supermarket, or it will be no Samoas and Thin Mints for me :(

No comments: