Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Smack talking Hoboken



I am not Irish, but I do love wearing green. Like most holiday festivities this year, I will be missing St. Patty's Day because of drill. Yes, I am going to the parade Tuesday, but I will be missing all of the green beer drinking fun to be had Saturday. So, this past weekend I went to a friend's house in Hoboken, NJ for their extremely HUGE and festive St. Patty's Day parade and party. Did I see the parade? No. Wait, a little bit. I ran in front of it to cross the street.

I may not have fully partaken in the parade piece, but I did fully participate in the drunken-New-Jersey-spiky-haired Delta Bravo parade that was going on all around me. It was kind of like the unofficial NJ parade route. Has anyone seen "Growing Up Gotti", a 2004ish reality show featuring New York's Gotti family? Umm ya. Kind of like that. Spiky hair, fake tans, t-shirts two sizes too small and of course a lot of "Hey baby"s. Annoying.

Also along the NJ parade route were many houses that looked just like college houses packed with people. It was amazing! People on porches, people on top of roofs and porches and balconies, people making balconies out of things that weren't supposed to be balconies. In Ang's backyard her neighbors were all piling onto a fire escape, and we were screaming because the more they moved and added party goers to the mix, the lower and more slanted the escape leaned. It could have been bad.

Other highlights of the "parade" were a man in a green suit zipped all the way over his head taking pictures with onlookers, drunk girls in booty shorts getting sick between houses, a drunk guy eating a sandwich on the curb and a statue of the virgin mary. I am not kidding. It was an interesting day.

I don't want to smack talk Hoboken, even though I just did. It is a cute place, and it can be a lot of fun. Like I said, I have a friend that lives there, so I visit often. It just never ceases to amaze me how "New Jersey" that place can get though. Especially after dark. And if you don't know what "New Jersey" is, go to Hoboken. But be sure to bring your band-aids because if someone accidentally bumps you with their spiky-doo, you may get hurt. Those things are SHARP!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about total submersion into a subculture. In the 12 years I lived in NYC, I think I ventured to Hoboken twice, and that was to visit an in-law. And that was quite enough.

Very surreal, but a real gut buster at the same time. Hoboken truly is life imitating art, while art imitates reality.