Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MoMa

What do you call free art that is better than art you had to pay a ton to see? I call it AWESOME! We went to MoMa Friday, and thanks to Target (my favorite) we got in for free. That's right. Every Friday from 4 to 8, Target stores give free MoMa visits to all!!!! Just show up, and you get in for free. What can you get for free anymore? Sugar packets? A hug from that creepy co-worker? The Staten Island Ferry? Well you get my point... not a lot.

A few weeks back, I told you I went to the Guggenheim, and it was not what I would have expected... We won't revisit in great detail. MoMa was exactly what I expected. Real art by REAL artists that I understood. Masterpieces that I had heard and seen in media and history books, but never seen in real life. Some of my favorites were Gustav Klimt, Andy Warhol, and even a couple by Picasso. Yes, our friend Picasso did have some "issues", and some of his stuff I don't like, but I did enjoy his piece "girl before a mirror" and the one of some weird looking people fishing.

They had a special exhibit of Martin Kippenberger, which was extremely interesting. This German artist used a wide range of symbolism in his works. In fact, you can't possibly fully enjoy his works without the commentary. Just knowing what you're looking at, and why, makes the art so much more meaningful. He painted a car and a "healing" box with brown paint and oatmeal. Weird, I know, but once you heard why he did it, it was beautiful. In another piece he made a life size sculpture of himself standing in the corner out of various materials to show his faults as a human being. For example, one was made of resin and cigarettes, because he smoked. He also had quite the obsession with frogs and eggs... but I'll let you figure that one out.

Although there are still some of the "artsy" disasters that make me crazy, they are far and few between. No needles in faces... no neon rooms with buzzing noises (Dream House!!!). I will bring my guests here... mostly on Fridays.

No comments: