Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bronze sculptures of my little friends

Aww how cute! I really enjoy getting off the subway at 14th St. As you walk through the station, you can see bronze statues of little guys with money bags, pennies etc peeking up at you through the station's surroundings.


After further investigation, I have discovered that these statues are by American artist Tom Otterness as a part of his "Life Underground" exhibit. What I love so much about these is that they blend into the scenery of the station, and if you didn't look for them, you might not even see them. For example, there is one statue of a little guy sitting on a bench. Well I definitely didn't see him, but a guy was sitting next to him on the bench, and it was really funny. They just look so natural in that setting.



I also like the little animals that are part of "Life Underground". There are giraffes and snakes and an alligator. Aww. Otterness also has other bronze art around the city in Battery Park and Brooklyn and a few other places.

However, like everything else, don't think that these aren't somewhat politically motivated. Otterness loves to poke fun of officials and society alike. But that's okay with me... these little guys are great to look at while waiting for the train!


Don't they just bring a smile to your face?

No comments: