Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NYC Flip Flop Feet


I love flip flops. Or as Steve and I call them flimp flomps. They are by far the easiest most versatile footwear to wear anywhere. You can wear them with jeans, or even sport them with a bridesmaid dress after your feet are killing you from breaking it down on the dance floor all night. OR if you live in New York, you can wear them to and from work, and secretly at your desk when you don't have to walk around... Ooops I gave away my lil secret.

The thing is in New York there are a few risks associated with flip flop wearing that other parts of the country don't have to be as concerned about. Here are a few of these reasons.

1. DIRT/GRIME.

This is probably the most obvious. Let me just tell you that here in New york it is DIRTY. Like construction site dirty everywhere you go. Walking around the city you might as well be barefoot. People spit and other dirty things all over the place. With so many people, there are bound to be a few dirty gross people out there.
Umm and did I mention that dogs poo on the sidewalk here? You should see their little faces when they gotta go. So sad. You can always tell the new dog in town too because he is clearly thinking, "Where the hell is the grass?"
After you get home from an excursion around the city, I suggest investing in a foot brush. This little bad boy will ensure that you don't get a bad case of "dirty foot", and that vegetation doesn't start sprouting from the cracks of your foot. Guys just don't like that. "Dirty foot" may lose you a few dates if you aren't careful. Uhhh! You mean I have to brush my teeth AND my feet? Ridiculous. But dirt and grime aren't the only environmental issue thing you have to worry about...

2.RAIN

Ah yes. New York is somewhat synonymous with rainy weather. I'm not talking dripping rain, although that happens occasionally. I'm talking about monsoon style downpours that last for hours which ensure a good drenching before you get to wherever you're going. This can create an extremely dangerous hazard for us flip flop wearing folks. You see, back in the day, when the settlers of NYC decided to construct the streets of the city, they were not thinking of flip flops... or flip flops in rain. You see the streets are not paved in gold, but some of the sidewalks and most of the gutters are marble. and those things are not conducive to rain. Another slipping hazard unbenounced to me until it was too late, are the cross walks. Apparently the white paint is slipperier than the black, and it really sucks to fall on your face in a cross walk. Let me tell ya. So if it is raining, you are better off in rain boots.. a survival staple in the city.

3. THE SUBWAY

O magical, mystical subway station. Why is the ceiling always dripping? And do people imagine that they are outside while in a subway station. It is NOT okay to leave trash/spit on the ground in a subway. What would your mother say? "Where you raised in a... subway?" And yes they clean the sidewalks everyday with hoses and such, but how do they clean the subway? when you figure that out please let me know...

4. THE 50 MILLION OTHER PEOPLE NOT WEARING FLIP FLOPS

So it's a little crowded here. There are probably 50 million people in like a mile radius. Okay maybe not, but it is PACKED. Most of these people are commuters. If they are in their 20's/30's and female, they are probably wearing flip flops with their work dresses/suits. If they are older ladies they are probably wearing tennis shoes, or are blessed enough to be able to trek around in stilettos all over town (they have surgeries for that ya know!) Or if they are men they are probably wearing super hard dress shoes, and most likely have huge feet. So the point is, if these people step on you it frickin hurts. And believe me, they are not watching where their going. It's the survival of the fittest, read rudest, mentality of NYC commuting. But you can get these clowns back as you fly past them on the sidewalk grates while they wait to pass on the side so their heels don't get stuck. Suckers.

5.ABNORMALLY LONG WALKS TO JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE

I've said it before. If you don't like walking, don't move to New York. We walk everywhere! For a seasoned pro this is not an issue, because my little tootsies don't mind a little flip flop abuse for miles and miles, but if you have sensitive feet beware: flip flops may not be for you. And for God's sake: they are 2 for $5 at Old Navy. Buy a new pair once and awhile.

5 comments:

Steve Bartley said...

Meow-

theEnD81 said...

as a 20-something NYC male, I must say... I HATE SEEING WOMEN IN FLIP-FLOPS!

Mainly because of the reasons you stated. I've actually converted many of my co-workers against the flip flop.

I could list (and just be-reiterating what you said) all the reasons, but I'll just site one example.

How dirty your feet get. There is no way to avoid it, and there is nothing more disgusting than seeing a cute girl with BLACK, NASTY feet. Yeah you'll clean it later, but it is nasty now.

If some guy pissed himself in a bar, would you talk to him? I mean he'll clean it later, but does that change that he is covered in piss?

Knowing NYC, and having been here most of my life (took a break while in the AF) you should consider yourself lucky if the worst thing you step on is piss... I'm not talking dog pooh either.

Erika said...

Omg that is EXACTLY what my boyfriend says when I wear flip flops!!! Eww dirty feet! Dirty feet! But to us flip flop folk's defense, black flip flops do make your feet black, but if they smell like poo, I cannot defend that :)

Anonymous said...

Wimps. You are think flip flops in the city are too much? Don't you know that during the late 1960s and early 1970s young women were going barefoot in the city? Yes, they were being REALLY alternative and daring. And that was the MUCH dirtier and more dangerous NYC of the 70s. Read the NY Times, Sept 1, 1970 article entitled "Shoelessness on the Rise". Tells you how common it was, and it wasn't just hippies. I'm not saying it was good or bad, it just was considered cool and in style for a few years. And you are criticizing flip flops....

Anonymous said...

Well I've got a foot fetish so I love to see girls in flip flops!