Thursday, December 11, 2008

Elevator of Doom

We all couldn't decide on a place to eat today, so we just went downstairs to the basement of our building where there is everything from Sandwiches to Cuban food to sushi. We all convened back at the escalator and went upstairs. After laughing hysterically because we seemingly "accidentally" disabled the rotating door, we gathered into the elevator and ascending to the 9th floor.

Now just for a little back history about our elevator situation. Going up our side of the building, there are 5-6 elevators. Car #2, or the one we affectionately refer to as the "elevator of doom", has always caused problems. Numerous other employees have either gotten stuck or rerouted in the "elevator of doom". Sometimes it goes to the right floor, and sometimes it doesn't. Capt. Webb, in my office, got stuck one time in said elevator and was in there until someone came and got her out.

So we get in the elevator, and we are laughing, and we press 9 and we go up and its like we're on a rubber band. We fly up past our floor and then drop back down below our floor. And this happens like 3 times. So we're screaming and I am holding onto my diet coke in one hand, and the side of the elevator in the other. And I'm squeezing my eyes shut. Surely this is it. I am going to die as a DA civilian... in an elevator.

Then all of a sudden it is quiet, and I open my eyes. Everyone is getting out, and Sgt. just tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Erika stop it". We all had a good laugh. If I can't handle a little elevator scare, then how could I ever go to war for God's sake?

So basically we don't use that car. Car #2 is dead to us. But every time I am waiting to go up to the office, and the only elevator that is open is #2, I never go in. People look at me crazy, but I just say, "Um I'm gonna wait for the next one." They probably think they smell or something, but I don't care. I am NOT getting in that thing again...

No comments: