Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowpocalypse


As the Chicken Littles of the DC Metro area descended into every grocery store and bought every loaf of bread possible yesterday I realized something... What the heck are they freaking out about? And how exactly is bread going to help? I knew I was in trouble when my friend Josh referred to the previous 4 inches we got earlier in the week as "the last snow storm". This one would be significantly bigger. It makes me thankful that I am from the great state of Ohio where the snow plows run free, and the counties don't go into a state of complete panic over a little snow. Yes, I know. This is not going to be a little snow. But it certainly is not a reason to act as insane as some of my DC brethren these last few days. I chatted with a Floridian friend the other day,and was asking her about hurricanes. She said that this reminded her of the reactions of people down south when a big storm is coming. So can't we react the same? Can't we hold one of those "hurricane parties" I hear so much about? I know I will. I will be here my friends, holed up in my apartment with a bottle of Ketel One and my lengthy unwatched DVR recordings.

Now, I have to admit something. I bought bread. I walked into Trader Joe's yesterday, and the chaos and R.E.M's "End of the World" playing on the store's speakers broke me down into the groupthink mentality. I snagged the last 12 grain on the display and rushed out of the store victorious. And as I returned home with my prize I realized I didn't even need it. I already had a loaf and a half sitting on my shelf.

What I am upset about is that they were out of sleds! How am I supposed to dog sled race with no sled? I hear trash can lids work just fine...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to see you back. Haven't seen you post in awhile.

Good grief! I completely understand where you're coming from. As a northern Yankee, I now live in Atlanta, and people FREAK at the very THOUGHT of a DUSTING of snow. Stores get packed with people buying everything they can get their hands on for fear that a famine is a-comin'!

They always buy bread, milk and sugar. Okay, I get the bread and the milk. Gotta feed the kids. But the sugar? Whatta they gonna do, bake a cake because the end of the world is at hand.

Anyhoo, I better stop or I'll start a rant on how weather forecasters always seem to get orgasmic over an impending weather front.