Sunday, July 26, 2009

Air Mobility RODEO 2009


I know I have been gone for awhile, and some may be worried... Okay maybe just Grandma, but let me tell you my friends, I have been to the place where dreams come true, where air forces are made or broken, and where the total force aspect of the U.S. Air Force is in full effect! I was at the RODEO competition at McChord Air Force Base, Wash. This week long competition showcases the best of the best from many air mobility wings all over the U.S. and abroad. It also welcomed seven teams from air forces around the world. This biannual event gives units a chance to showcase their heavies including KC-135, KC-10, C-17, C-5, C-130/C160 aircraft.

Now, some who have heard of the RODEO may say that it is an all out party, and that it is a waste of money BUT I disagree. This event is BIANNUAL and it is one of the only opportunities for air mobility Airmen to interact with other units and international teams outside of a contingency situation, meaning that they are not at war/getting shot at. And it is quite cheap. The Air Force is frugal these days.. (hello F-22!) The international teams learn how Americans do their job, and we can dually learn from their experiences and techniques. Also it gives American forces the chance to interact with their counterparts, and learn from their experiences. The Guard in Reserve are included in this, which gives it a total force spin, and reminds the active duty folks that the Guard and Reserve are a major asset to the mobility command. My unit actually won best KC-135 aircrew!

I did have a blast. Yes, I worked 12 to 14 hours a day, and yes I was exhausted, but I somehow traded sleep for a good time a couple nights that I was there, and it was great! I learned that the Germans call their aircraft "Else", and she is a C-160 or as they call her C-one-sexy. They were hilarious. The Belgians taught me that the way to a woman's heart is through Belgian cheese and chocolate, and the Koreans taught me that nothing cures a long day at work like a good dance party... and NEVER drink souchu... gross.

It was an time, and a great opportunity to make new relationships with people doing the same job we do all over the world...

And by the way Altus AFB, Calif. makes the best margaritas... ;)

No comments: